photo by mutiara karina via flickr creative commons
at the end of every calendar year, millions of people around the world set out resolutions (or goals) for the coming new year. whether it's paying off debt, or losing weight, or practicing self-acceptance, many of us want to change ourselves for the better (i like to call it developing new habits) - and what better (symbolic) time to do that than when facing 365 blank slates worthy of a new "you"?
i'll admit, i haven't yet come up with my goals for 2013 (and the year's already started - eeek!). i'm a little uncertain whether i'll set anything down in stone. instead, i'm considering a more relaxed approach to change - i'll change my habits (and my life) as they come at me, and as i see a need for change.
that being said, i'd like to make 2013 a year for learning. there are plenty of things i know how to do, or am passable at, but there is so much more out there. there are so many valuable skills and fields of study that i have never even attempted - many of which would come in handy sometime in the next 60 years of my life. and hey, even if if they aren't particularly handy come the zombie apocalypse, they might just be a hell of a lot of fun.
1. how to identify edible plants / how to identify poisonous plants
2. how to set a trap for small game
3. how to make and use a bow and arrow
4. how to climb a tree without injuring yourself
5. how to build a fire
6. how to play chess like a champ.
7. how to dance. properly. like a waltz or something.
8. how to deal a proper hand of texas hold 'em.
9. how to arrange a room according to feng shui principles.
10. how to knit or crochet.
11. how to use a sewing machine / how to make your own clothes.
12. how to dye fabric.
13. how to take a great photograph.
14. how to do simple photo editing.
15. how to set a household budget.
16. how to do your own taxes.
17. how to properly use basic tools (hammer, drill, saw, wrench...)
18. how to identify constellations.
19. how to cook a turkey. with stuffing and everything.
20. how to cook a perfect omelette.
21. how to flip a pancake without breaking it.
22. how to actually fold a fitted sheet.
23. how to say "hello", "goodbye", "thank you", and other simple, but necessary phrases in at least two other languages.
24. how to mix a classic drink, like an old-fashioned or mint julep.
25. how to write in html and css coding.
all of the above are things i don't yet know how to do properly, or at all. this year, i want to cross off at least 10 of them.
is there anything you want to learn to do in 2013? something you want to get better at? or do you have a suggestion for something else i should tackle? i'd love to hear about it!