photo by andrea allen via compfight
guys, it has been absolutely frigid here in ottawa the last week. i'm talking dips in temperature that reach lows of -40 C. i just googled the difference between celsius and fahrenheit for that temp (i'm always thinking of you americans out there!), and the fahrenheit reading is also -40.
needless to say, dave and i (and i'm pretty sure the rest of the city) have been avoiding spending time outdoors. this has been both fun and a headache. it's hard keeping a crazy-active dog indoors except for pee breaks, but when cold warnings advise against taking your pets out for walks, and your dog can barely walk on the frozen ground for more than 5 minutes before she starts whining about her paws freezing over - well, you know you're not going far.
but besides attacks from a caged-in pup, it's also been hard on our ability to have fun. there's usually a hell of a lot more to do outside our humble little apartment. so, we've had to get creative. and here's what we've come up with:
1. relive your childhood through disney movies or much-loved book series like the bearenstein bears or franklin.
2. engage in an epic card game battle. (dave and i prefer full-contact crazy eight countdown.)
3. teach each other something. right now, dave's doing a stellar job trying to learn me some chess.
4. make a blanket fort for two.
5. make spiked hot chocolate or apple cider.
6. have a movie marathon. some options: all the star wars, harry potters, indiana jones or lord of the rings. back to back. (stock up on some drinks and snacks to survive the many, many hours you'll be stranded on the couch.)
7. cook the fanciest dinner you can with whatever is in your fridge and pantry.
8. build your imaginary dream home (or life) together. bonus points goes to whoever comes up with the most outlandish, but totally necessary addition to the fantasy.
9. spring clean a little early! clear your closet of the clothes you no longer wear, tidy up your "random item" drawer (don't tell me you don't have one), and sneak a peek into your attic, garage or storage room for anything you no longer need.
10. make some easy money by selling your old stuff you've just purged online. sure, you won't get rich quick, but everyone could do with an extra $20.
11. challenge your partner/roomate/sibling to a dance off. if you're really dedicated, make costumes mandatory.
12. cuddle. human not required.
photo by chiot's run via compfight
13. bake bread. nothing will make your home smell more inviting or feel so warm as a fresh loaf of homemade bread.
14. organize your computer files. (if you're like me this might take a very long cold snap to get through - well, before i fried my computer that is.)
15. print family and friend photos and make a collage.
16. bring new life to your home by rearranging a room or putting up new artwork.
17. browse kijiji for some fun, and affordable, new decorations.
18. challenge your partner/roomate to find the craziest listing on kijiji or craigslist. the loser has to cook dinner or cough up a bottle of wine for the two of you.
19. throw a clothing swap for any friends who are willing to brave the cold drive over.
20. nap with your loved ones (pets included).
21. build a fire, grab a good book and a blanket, and settle in for some reading.
22. have sex. need i say more?
23. get your craft on: paint, sew, scrapbook, glue and bedazzle to your heart's content.
24. forget the gym or winter running - workout at home.
25. start a blog. who knows where it'll take you!
what are your favourite ways to kill time indoors when the weather outside is dinstinctly frightful? let me know what you do when it's too cold go outside in the comments below!