April 30, 2012

kitchen novice: avocado and egg breakfast


in a world of bacon, dark chocolate and, um, bacon, somehow avocado has climbed its way to the top of my “i could eat only this for the rest of my life” pile. my first taste of this glorious fruit (i know, avocado is a fruit?! fact, my friends, fact.) came when i was about 8 or 9, and my best friend’s mom made guacamole for us. it was love at first taste. the only food-related moment in my life that tops that one is the day i tried bacon for the first time (i was 15, and i swear the angels sang).

however, i didn’t expand my avocado experience beyond guacamole for the next 10 years. tragic. my family didn’t eat it, and i wasn’t about to start making my own food when my mom was perfectly willing to cook dinners for me (i was a teenager, don’t judge me). thankfully, my attitude has since changed.

today, if i can put avocado in it, i will. in my morning smoothie? check. sliced on a sandwich or hamburger? check. cubed in a salad? check. but my current favourite avocado meal has to be this one – mixed with hard-boiled eggs, a few halved cherry tomatoes and a handful of diced peppers.

you will need
1 avocado
1-2 hard-boiled eggs
5 cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ yellow or red bell pepper
black pepper
salt
garlic powder

1. hard-boil your egg(s) using your preferred method. let cool, peel and mash roughly (you’ll want it to be chunky).

2. slice the avocado open, scoop out the innards, and dice.

3. rinse and halve your cherry tomatoes. dice the bell pepper.

4. place everything in a bowl, and sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, and a few shakes of black pepper. mix.

5. eat.


this is a healthy, filling way to start your day. since i avoid eating grains as much as possible, i like to eat this on its own, but it would be fantastic spread onto some crusty bread (i’m drooling thinking about eating it with a few slices of baguette).

result: i’m pretty sure i could eat only this for the rest of my life and die happy.


what’s your favourite avocado recipe? i’d love to hear your recommendations!


linked up to:



12 comments:

Polly Davies said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

that sounds delicious!

Leeanne said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sounds wonderful, definitely going to have to try that!

The Johnson Familia said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I made an avocado egg dish! It is amazing isn't it? Here is mine...
http://gandcjohnson.blogspot.com/2012/03/eggvocado-say-what.html

Yael said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Polly Davies

it is, polly! such an easy, healthy breaky :)

Yael said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Leeanne

let me know how you like it! it's super tasty, i promise :).

Yael said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@The Johnson Familia

that looks amazing! thanks for sharing the link :).

Jenn said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This was the 1st thing that caught my eye at Wow Me Wednesday! It sounds delicious!

Pams Party said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have never thought to put avocado in my eggs. I will definitely have to try it. I would love it if you would share this on my linky party Dare to Share.

Pam
http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/04/dare-to-share-5.html

Pams Party said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for linking up your recipe. You have inspired us to try an avocado an egg recipe this morning. I am pinning your recipe on my recipes to try pin board.

June said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This does sound yummy, Yael! I saw a recipe recently for a baked avocado and egg... adding yours next to that one on my list to try! Thanks for sharing!

Beba said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I tried this recipe and it was awesome! My husband and I loved it. =)

Nadav said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I actually recently was in a rush to work (not a new thing, but having a few minutes to grab some food on the way while rushing was definitely a first for me..) and I grabbed a breakfast sandwich from a little soup and sandwich shop and the lady asked if I wanted the eggs with or without avocado.. Well, you can guess what I decided on. Really a no-brainer. It was mashed into an egg salad spread and by GEORGE! it was scruptuous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...